This Is Why!

"I tell you the truth, whatever you do for the least of these, you do for me." Matthew 25:40

Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Favorite Word-"Mama"

Well today is Mother's Day and I am so proud to be a MOM! If you ask my kids what my favorite word is they would tell you it's "Mama"...there is just something about it...when I hear my kids say it...it just melts me. I know there might be days ahead when hearing that word over and over might annoy me...but I hope I always remember that there is no greater thing to be than a Mother! I never knew how wonderful or how difficult it would be...none of us realizes how hard it is until we become a mom...there is no way to prepare! Not only do I love Iris and Asa but now I think about that child God has for me in another part of the world that will one day call me "Mama"...that's just amazing to think about. I always knew that my job in life was to be a mom...I never knew that God would call me to be a mom to a child that was without a mother. Iris and Asa call me mama because they know I am their mother...but the child we adopt will have to learn to call me mama...and when they do finally do that it will be the sweetest sound!

Mother's Day is always such a happy time for our family...but this year I am really thinking about the moms out there that are without their children...they have children that have passed away or had to put their child up for adoption because they couldn't care for them or even for the women out there that can't have children of their own and are going through the difficult process of adoption so that they can become a mom....Mother's Day might not be a happy time for those women and that just seems so sad to me. I think about the mother of our child in Ethiopia...whether they are living or not or whether they are struggling to care for that child and having to consider giving them up...that just breaks my heart. What they must be going through right now is something I can't even begin to understand. And then I think about the child that doesn't have a mom and doesn't get to celebrate this special day with them. Iris and Asa made me such beautiful things at school last week for Mother's Day...they couldn't wait to give them all to me...I was in tears because it truly comes from their heart and to know how much they love me is just so amazing...but those children without moms aren't able to give those special things to them and share that love with them...they must have this place in their heart that is so lonely and needs to be filled. Not only as moms do we love when our children show their feelings for us but for a child to be able to give that love to a mom is just as important for them. My kids love to pile up on top of me when I am on the couch or laying in my bed...which is getting harder as they are growing...but there is a comfort they feel when they lay next to me...some children don't have that comfort!

I am not one to push adoption on anyone...I don't think it is for everyone...you have to be called to do it and only by God is it possible. But I am asking those couples who aren't able to have their own children to please pray about adoption. God intended for a child to be conceived by a husband and wife inside of their marriage and if He has allowed certain circumstances that won't let that happen then He may just be calling you to adopt. There are so many children out there who need a family! Not everyone can adopt...but there are other ways to help orphans...you can support other couples that are wanting to adopt or give to a great fund that supports orphan care...and also praying for the orphans in this world is so important!

So this Mother's Day please pray for moms everywhere and what they may be going through and if you are a mom just know how special you are and that God has given you the greatest gift!